Saturday, July 20, 2013

Summer Flies By...

I can't believe how fast this summer is going!  Only one, short, busy month left!  I needed this break, and my stomach knots up at the thought that it will end soon.

The wonderful stuff we've done:

Backyard Bible Club.  Love it.  Enough said.

Garden.  Can't believe how big it has gotten.  There were pumpkins that I became convinced must be watermelons, which have proven themselves to actually be pumpkins.  There is still one mystery plant, maybe a honeydew?  ??  Good tomatoes, not quite as plentiful as last year.  Same for cucumbers.  Zucchini like crazy.  I've already had roasted pumpkin seeds and pumpkin pie.  I'm pretty sure I planted too early and there won't be any pumpkins in October....  The peaches were too buggy.  Should have pruned and sprayed, right?  My carrots and beets are still tiny.  They were supposed to be ready to harvest more than a month ago...  hmmmm....  Not having the best of luck with the berries, but the ones that we got were very tasty.





Fourth of July in Thomas, WV.  If you really want to see a small town have fun and put on some amazing fireworks, this is the place to be!  The Panda made his first big trip down all the steps to see Blackwater Falls.  We visited my dear, dear friend and her family, and were visited by old friends, and we are so blessed.  Look at the Panda, finally working up courage to touch the terrifying dog.  He's getting braver.











Hitting the museums.  We are trying to see several that we've just never been to.  The Newseum is free for kids with a paying adult right now, and we really enjoyed learning about the history of journalism (except the Puppy, who really just fools around and distracts everyone.)  The Puppy is behind MLK's jail cell door, considering the tiny space marked off behind it to represent the size of the cell.  Hoping to do the Freer gallery soon.







The Panda is eating more variety, and I'm able to spoon it in much faster now.  Our current goals are for him to put food into his mouth himself (like Cheerios), learn to chew it, and to eventually bite pieces off of something (like a sandwich or a Ritz cracker) and chew them.  He's not doing any of these things at all.

Last year was the "Summer of Yes".  This year feels like the "Summer of Sure".  There is a razor fine difference between "yes" and "sure", and the difference comes from my attitude.  Last summer I had to keep it together and give it my all, and even so, we were falling apart.  The deployment was taking its toll.  This summer, everyone seems so much better in general, but I am still recovering.  I'm struggling to shake some unnamed, beaten down, exhausted something.  I can't pin down what it is.  I am tired.  Not depressed or sad.  Worn out.  Worn down.

I really like taking time out of my regular Bible study in the summer to study the things we do for VBS (coming up soon, can't wait!   Longest, hottest, most rewarding week of the year!  Wooohooo!) and Bible clubs.  I meander down rabbit trails while studying it.  Then I eventually (like right now with only a week left) have to pull back and figure out what I should actually do in that tiny 20 minutes each day with my class.  Oh, Lord, please let them see Your greatness, love, and grace!  Let us all come away knowing how much we really need You.

Hebrews 10 is the place I keep coming back to this summer.  It is deep and true, with so many applications, it just can't be exhausted, even when I am.  I can't even figure out which piece of the chapter to include here.

Heb 10:14-18 For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:
“This is the covenant I will make with them
    after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
    and I will write them on their minds.”
Then he adds:
“Their sins and lawless acts
    I will remember no more.”
And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.


The deep prayer of my heart is that God would keep this in front of me, so that when I deal with the sin of an unrepentant child, I would remember how much grace He has lavished on me.  I can draw hope from knowing that Jesus has done everything that is necessary for me to have a relationship with God now and to be with Him forever.  Sin will not poison everything forever.











3 comments:

  1. Great photos! It looks like a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a nice time...especially with your husband home. I, too, like having my alone time with God and His word. There is nothing like hearing directly from Him saying what I need to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this post friend. I get the worn out, worn down...my word is weary. Love to see Panda getting out and love the bible verse. I feel like your garden is a representation of my family right now, some things grew so well (pumpkins), while other things struggled (tomatoes), there was sweetness in the little things (berries) even if there were few of them. Some things were just rotten and needed more attention but now I am the wiser (peaches) And then there is just mystery left here and there. But above all things were still growing...Praise be to God! Blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete